Daily Bible Verse

Saturday, April 3, 2010

So Long Insecurity - Week Eight Discussion

Hi Siestas,
Sorry this was late being posted on here.  I usually wait for the RSS feed to come into my Inbox, but this week it didn't and I suddenly realized that they've changed Blog hosts, which means a new feed has to be added.
Has anyone had any problems adding the feed, like I have?  I've tried numerous times, and with different feed servers, but I keep getting one entitled "Yanio" and totally in Chinese characters!  Interesting, but definitely not the LPM Blog!
Anyway, here is our assignment for this week.  A bit longer, but we can do it!!

"OK, young ladies, we have a book to bring to finish so I better stop musing over Spring and start thinking So Long Insecurity. We’ve got only two more weeks to go in our discussions and five chapters left to read. That means we’re going to need to take three chapters this week so we can close up next week with only two. That works, though. It’s not hard reading and many of you have already finished the book anyway and are reviewing it for the sake of discussion. However it works for you is great with me! Your homework this week will include Chapters 14, 15, and 16 and the following three questions - one per chapter. Try to be as succinct as possible in each answer so we can read through many of the comments.

1) As you surely noticed, Chapter 14 is more of a testimony than a teaching but it concludes with a charge to deal with our female insecurities for the sake of young girls coming up behind us. Annabeth was my big inspiration for the journey. Briefly describe someone who is worth doing what it takes to you to live abundantly and effectively in Christ. Help us picture her so that she inspires us, too. Needless to say, don’t share more than she’d want you to.
2) I wish we could discuss all of Chapter 15 in person but this is the next best thing. Name a couple of ways pertinent to your sphere of life and influence that you could look out for your own gender in our battle with insecurities. In other words, how can you (not others but you in particular) start becoming part of the solution in your female relationships rather than default into part of the problem. No condemnation here. Goodness knows, we’ve all been both. Our challenge is to learn to be deliberate. How are you prepared to do that?
3) I can’t wait to see your answers to this one. Based on Chapter 16 and the challenge to look past ourselves, what is your passion? If you don’t have one presently, don’t feel pressured or unnerved. You might be too deep in toddlers or school work to think past the urgent. Those things are priority and need to be your passion right now. If, however, you long for something that makes you feel fully alive and part of something specific God is doing for the greater good, ask Him to nurture that vision in you. It will be ultimately be the key to life on the outskirts of self-absorption. Keep in mind, your passion may not be anything you’re currently engaged in. Maybe you don’t have the opportunity to participate right now. Maybe it’s just in dream-form. Or maybe it’s just a place God has tendered your heart. Try to give it a name. What is something outside of yourself that you feel passionate about?
I will look so forward to your answers, Sisters! I’m so honored to have you along on this journey. Try to enjoy it while you’re at it. Believe it or not, as much as it’s pried into our business, we might just miss it when it’s over.
May the Lord answer you when you are in trouble. May the God of Jacob make you secure! (Ps. 20:1 NET)
With much affection,
Beth"

10 comments:

  1. Hi Judi, thanks for putting this up again! I have mine coming into Google Reader but it doesn't automatically show up on my blog anymore so I have to check reader to see if anything is new. This is my first experience in using Word Press.

    HAPPY EASTER EVRYONE! JESUS IS RISEN, HE IS RISEN INDEED!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Easter to all.

    1. I have two wonderful daughters who are worth what it takes. My oldest has a quiet confidence, uncanny ability to deal wisely with friends in conflicting situations and loves to find humour in situations. She loves people. My other daughter has a smile that would light up a room and a laugh that causes others to join in. She desires to teach others and already at 9 looks for ways to help others. I so desperately want their security and strength to come from God.

    2. A couple of ways to be part of the solution...Stop making comparisons. STOP! I have been catching myself in the act of unhealthy thinking and calling my soul to switch tracks. Start personalizing other women. Pray for them. I have been praying for God's love to fill me for them. I recite Gal 5:21 almost constantly!

    3. I have been working through this a lot over the past year. We are in new place and new career and I am basically on a sabbatical. I am feeling very strongly about women, young mom's and working women, about choosing family over fortune and character over career. God is the only one who can satisfy. I am working with women's Bible study right now and it is a good fit right now. I am also on the verge on counselling engaged couples with my husband. That has some neat potential as well. It is just unfolding but that is the direction I am feeling right now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you all had a wonderful Easter! Christ is risen indeed!
    On Friday we had our son and daughter in law over, as well as our son & daughter who live with us. We Skyped our son who is now in Poland. I really loved how it made him feel so close to us, like he was just in the next room!
    Do any of you have Skype? If so, add me to your list and we can chat sometime! I'm listed as Judith Coates.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. I have 4 grandaughters that I pray will find their security in Christ and not fall into all the traps the world would offer them instead.

    2. Solutions - the main one for me is to personalize other women. It is much easier to feel negatively about someone if I don't think about her as a person with dreams, desires and struggles just like me. The second I would say is to stop the comparisons. If all women stopped comparing themselves to each other imagine what could be accomplished for the Lord and what peace it would bring to so many lives!!

    3. My passion is for women to know the freedom there is in Christ. Not just to be Christians but to live in the free place Christ died to give us. So many of us accept that salvation comes by grace and then try and work our way to living for Christ rather than accepting that grace is it all the way! Gal. 5:1 says "It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery." My passion is for all women to know and understand what a difference that freedom makes in our own lives and in how we relate to each other.

    Judi, I don't have Skype or a web cam but it would sure be fun to talk to each other that way. I'm afraid if I do anything to my old computer it is going to crash on me! It has been acting up any time I've used it today. I have been wondering how your Revelation study is going.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi everyone!
    I haven't posted in a while because I was out of town, then had houseguests for a while. But I've caught up reading all of your comments and have enjoyed every one of them! I'm behind in reading the Insecurity book -- but will catch up. I am up to date with my study of "A Heart Like His" that I'm doing with Beth this semester. I have LOVED the study -- it may be my favorite. The homework is great, Beth's "lectures" are great, and I'm doing it with one of my best friends -- which is an added blessing. We only have a few more weeks and I will miss it.
    I had such a wonderful Easter weekend. My church had a special Friday night service -- lots of great praise music and very moving service. Then I went with friends to dinner at a lovely Italian restaurant -- where we enjoyed some nice red wine :)
    Then Saturday I went with a friend (in a convertible) about 2 hours north of Houston to see all the bluebonnets and spring flowers -- it was a picture perfect day!
    Then a magnificent Easter Sunday service at church, followed by lunch with friends. I'm still reflecting on the special weekend.
    I will be out of town a lot over the next 5 weeks -- but will check in on the blog as I can. BTW -- I'm going to be in Charlotte and Savannah and surrounding areas for a trip -- anybody been there and can recommend places to see, eat, etc?
    Judi -- thanks again for making this site possible -- and thank all of you for posting -- you are such an encouragement to me!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Judy, A Heart Like His (the old one) was the first Beth Moore study I did and I was hooked. I loved that study and would do it again. Next week we are starting Jesus the One and Only and I'm looking forward to it. Have any of you done that one?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Last night's study was so good -- we only have one left. :(
    One of the nice things about getting to do these studies "live" is the the informal time with Beth before taping begins. There is about 10 - 15 minutes between the praise and worship and taping -- and Beth walks out in the audience and interacts with people. Last night both Amanda and Melissa were there, so she had them stand up.
    Several weeks ago she introduced Keith's parents who were there -- and last night she mentioned them again (and told a story) -- and said that they have been attending the studies for the past few semesters. Isn't that neat?
    Her sister has also been attending and she introduced her a while back as well.
    She has worn some "interesting" outfits this semester -- some cute, some "unusual". Wonder how they will seem a few years from now :)
    I've enjoyed this study so much that I would literally do it again next semester. Even though I kept up with the homework, I could have/should have spent more time absorbing and meditating on what I was learning.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lynn, I've done JTO&O and it was fabulous. I remember that we started it just after Christmas, and finished just around Easter, so the seasons really fit in with the material.
    I learned a lot in it.
    Just a word of warning - it's an old one, so be prepared for some old hairstyles and clothing styles. I also find Beth is more "stiff" in some of those old ones, which is why I'm so glad she's re-doing them.
    However, JUDY - since you brought it up, I really wish she would hire someone to advise her on wardrobe for tapings. Yeah, she has some cute outfits, but in 8 more years, we're all going to be laughing our heads off at the "oldness" of the styles! She needs to steer away from "cute" and lean more towards "classic"!!!
    Judy, I so wish I could be there to do the Heart Like His Study - even if it was to just sit in for one week.
    A random question......what are the bathroom lineups like! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Friends,

    I have a friend who is a self-supporting missionary in Brazil -- in a suburb of Rio. Her name is Patti LaCarter and God has used her in incredible ways there. She has started three churches and led hundreds of people to Christ. The rains and floods that have hit Rio in the past couple of days have directly impacted her churches and families -- the devastation is unbelievable. I got an email from her two days ago and just got this email from her mom:

    Patti called last night to say houses all caved in a neighborhood near her where her church member lives and 45 homes and 60 people were buried alive about 10 pm last night. The pictures are terrible. Still raining there. Keep praying for them. I think Patti and Georgia went out in all that mess today to see what they need to do and check on some of the people. Thanks, Barbara<>< This flooding is the worst in history for Niteroi. Have had over 30 inches of rain as of Monday.

    Could you all remember them in your prayers please?

    Thanks so much.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1. My inspiration is my two-year-old daughter. I hope she doesn't have to go through all the insecurity I did growing up. I hope I can teach her to trust who she is in God, and not rely on what others say and think.

    2. The biggest step I can take is to stop making comparisons. Don't compare to make myself feel bad and don't compare to make myself feel good. Just accept the fact that God made each of us unique with different physical and personality traits.

    3. I honestly don't know what my passion is right now. I've been fighting myself a lot over the past few months. I feel the need to do something, but I can't put my finger on what it is. I try things that I think would be good ways for me to grow as a person and as a Christian, but the doors are always closed. I want to make an impact, and I don't find myself doing that right now. I'm praying God will show me where I can be used.

    ReplyDelete