Daily Bible Verse

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Summer Bible Study III

Here's a copy of the post from Amanda on the LPL blog, with info and instructions for this year's Siesta Summer Bible Study III, beginning Tuesday, June 22nd:  (Note: I've added my comments in RED)

Who: As before, we want you to assemble a group of in-real-life friends, co-workers, family members, acquaintances, church family, Siestas in your town, neighbors, or whatever mix of ladies God puts on your heart.  (Bookmark siestasite.blogspot.com because this is where we will be meeting for our "group")

What: Spend the summer together in the Word! Our workbook (also called a “member book”) is a 6-week Bible study on the Book of Ruth. We will meet every other week to discuss two weeks of our homework. (I will have the links to each bi-weekly discussion on the LPM Blog and you are welcome to participate there, but for more interaction, please jump into our discussion on this blog)
When: We are partial to Tuesday since that’s our normal night for Bible study at LPM. So we will launch our SSBS3 on Tuesday, June 22, and “meet” every other Tuesday until August 3. Yes, you can meet another day of the week if necessary but you’ll see when the time comes that it’s the most fun when we all do it on the same day.  (Since it's an every-other-week "meeting", you'll have 2 weeks to jump in to that week's discussion and hopefully we can even spend the whole 2 weeks interacting)
I’ll give you the basic schedule now so you’ll know what to expect but Beth will have much more to say about it closer to the time of our launch. If we don’t answer your questions now, save them and see if they get answered within the next several weeks.


Tuesday, June 22, 2010 (1st Mini-Session/LAUNCH/Group instructions)
(DO WEEKS ONE AND TWO OF HOMEWORK ON YOUR OWN.)
Tuesday, July 6, 2010 (2nd Mini-Session/Group Instructions)
(DO WEEKS THREE AND FOUR OF HOMEWORK ON YOUR OWN.)
Tuesday, July 20, 2010 (3rd Mini-Session/Group Instructions)
(DO WEEKS FIVE AND SIX OF HOMEWORK ON YOUR OWN.)
Tuesday, August 3, 2010 (4th Mini-Session/Conclusion)


Where: Wherever you are most comfortable. Kelly’s workbooks are part of the Living Room Series. Her core group of ladies meets in her living room and they always share a meal together. In fact, you’ll find recipes in the workbook if you’d like to use them. We think that’s a really fun part of the experience. The first summer my group met in a different house each week and last summer we met in the same house each week. We’ve had some siesta groups meet in restaurants and coffee shops. Do whatever works for you and your ladies.
Why: A summer lived in Bible study is one lived in victory!
How:
1. Get your workbooks. LifeWay will have plenty of them for us, but you won’t want to wait until the last minute. You can find them online on LifeWay’s web site and on Kelly Minter’s web site.
2. Assemble your small group. You are more than welcome to participate solo or with an online discussion group, but for the sake of richest fellowship and best accountability, try as hard as you can to enlist three or four other women to meet with you every other Tuesday. Let the ladies know that the gatherings will be low on stress and high on much needed fellowship and rich discussion. Keep the emphasis on a relaxed and refreshing atmosphere where you can develop some wonderful relationships in Christ.
3. Sign up on the blog on our official Launch Day- Tuesday, June 22. We’ll ask you a few fun questions about your group.
4. Beth will facilitate the study by posting 15-minute videos on the mornings our meeting days. They will have instructions for discussion questions and activities that will be based on the previous two weeks of study. The videos will be like the ones you’re used to seeing on this blog – very casual and homemade! The idea is to incorporate the videos into the beginning of your meeting times if possible. In case the video aspect of the study doesn’t work for you, you will also find the discussion questions typed out on the blog.
5. After your gathering, you’ll check back in by telling us something about your meeting via a comment on that same post. Don’t worry if your group can’t meet on Tuesdays. You’ll still be able to find the post and comment throughout the week.(Looking forward to meeting or getting re-acquainted with you all!!)

17 comments:

  1. Judi, I have assembled my in person small group, about worn out my book already, love Kelli's CD, and have posted twice on my blog about it already and have gotten some takers for an online group. You can join me on my blog, if you want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for setting this up Judi. I don't have the workbook yet but even if it I don't get it I will study Ruth from my Bible with the Lord and join the discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandy - that's okay - I sent you the invitation because on the LPM blog you said you'd like to do the study with a small group.

    Hi Lynn - When I ordered the book they told me it was backordered with David C. Cook. That's one thing that I've noticed since they took over the Canada distribution for Lifeway - they don't keep things in stock like Mitchells used to. So I may be starting without a book too! We'll just plug along and I'm sure we'll still get a lot out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judi, It really is great that you have this blog set up.
    Did you do the Summer Bible Study last year or the year before?
    Also, I could pick up the books for you and Lynn at Lifeway and mail them to you, if you want.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Judi: I've never participated in an online study before. How does this work as far as timing, etc. Do we all just jump on when we can or is there a specific time set up? Thanks, looking forward to this!

    Celeste

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,

    I saw your blog link on Beth Moore's blog. I'll also be hosting a small group at my house but would love to join in on others blog sessions. Can't wait for this study its going to be great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Celeste. Every other Tuesday morning, after Beth posts her discussion post, I'll copy it onto this blog site, and then anyone can just jump right in. Please click on the right to become a "Follower" and send me your email address and then I can message you if there's anything else I need to let you know as the study goes on.

    Amanda - you are welcome to join in whenever you can!

    Sandy - thanks for the offer. My bookstore has it on order and says they think it will be in on time (famous last words - ha ha) so I think I will leave it at that and we'll see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay. I'm following now. I won't be able to jump in immediately on the 22nd because my daughter is having surgery that day, and the hospital's internet access is not that great. (They block so many sites you can basically just check e-mail!) I'll check in with the LPM blog and here ASAP!

    Thanks for inviting me to join you!

    ~Jennifer - Texarkana, AR

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jennifer

    Will be praying your daughters surgery goes well. God Bless!

    ~Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not sure how I came across your blog but I am excited about this Bible study I am actually working on it each day right now and is wonderful can't wait to chat with you all about it. And thanks for opening this smaller version. I enjoy reading Beth's but due to my busy schedule I find I would be a little more overwhelmed and was blessed to have come across this blog. Thanks again for Sharing Judi !!

    April ~

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jennifer - we'll keep you and your daughter in prayer. How old is she? Is she feeling okay about it?

    April - Welcome! You will be the "seasoned" group member, since you're already well into it. I see you have started your own blog - love the name!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the invitation, Judi. I'm so glad to be here and eager to get started.

    Jennifer, keep us posted about your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes Judi I did... I thought I would try it out and see what I could do with one... Have never done the "blog" thing so this will be new to me.

    Hope you all enjoy your day.

    Jennifer... Am praying for you and your daughter. Please keep us all posted.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey everyone, this is exciting! I'm so happy to see new faces here. Sandy I didn't see your offer to get the book and mail it until today. I hope it won't matter too much that I don't have it. Judi you are so right about Cook not keeping stock. The store here told me it would be 3 weeks before it came in so I just left it. I used to manage a store and I could get books in a week with no problem so it must be that Cook does it differently.

    I'm excited to get started. Judi and I did the summer study last year with some other women on a different blog and this year at the Scripture Memory celebration in Houston we got to meet. I love the internet for this!!

    Praying for you and your daughter Jennifer.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My younger daughter who had the surgery is 5 years old. She has chronic health issues. This was her third surgery for this problem. She handled everything pretty well. The surgery went fine, and we are back home now!

    She has at least a two-week recovery ahead of her, and we're praying that everything heals like it's supposed to and that this will take care of this issue once and for all.

    Thank you so much for praying! I'm going to the LPM blog to see the intro. video Beth put up! I'm excited to jump into the Bible study! (Tomorrow, as soon as I get some sleep. Hospitals are not good places to rest.)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Ladies! Thought I would jump in on this group since it's smaller....I love Beth's site & will always be there peeking in, but I need interaction! So, thank you so much for putting this together and bless all your pea pickin' hearts!
    Sharoni
    http://sharoni-thebudblooms.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Jennifer and Sharoni - come over to the Post titled "Drum Roll - SSBS III Launch" and let us get to know you. (The instructions from Beth's blog are re-posted there so you'll know what she wants us to share with one another)
    See you!

    ReplyDelete